A Step by Step SEO Guide 2017
Today I am willing to share with you 75 keys that you can easily perform on your website to increase visitors coming from search engines. I have tried to sort and classify all the steps that I follow myself and the tools I use most to do SEO.
I am sure that with this SEO Manual you can significantly increase your visits. Because in the end the good positioning in Google translates into more visits, which is what surely we all care. If you want to learn more about SEO , in this article I solve some doubts and I answer 50 questions about SEO .
Positioning in Google through Keywords
1. Choose your keywords well: define what searches people are going to try to position. Consider the number of searches for each term to find your best keywords. You can use Google Trends to define your natural positioning strategy on Google.
2. Check the competition: You can use the following tool to check not only the number of searches of each keyword, but also the competition they have. So you will know which words are more affordable depending on the popularity of your website: Google Adwords Keyword Tool
3. Measure the density of words: Analyze your page and find out what words you are using more. Try to repeat more ones you want to position well. Use this Ninja Internet tool
4. Use the keywords: Use them in your texts, tags and categories. The first 200 words on each page have more value, so it’s a good idea to make an entry summarizing the article. At the same time to encourage the rest of the reading, use to position your words.
5. Keywords in titles and bold: If you can use them to create titles and step to rely on them for your content. If you can highlight some bold in each article you will make it easier for Google to catalog you.
6. Measure and analyze your natural positioning for different keywords: Check your search ranking for all your keywords. You can use the following free tool to install on your computer: CuteRank It will tell you the page number on which you go on Google for each search.
Website Settings According to the SEO Manual
7. Meta description and title: Define for each page of your web a description and a title in the Meta tags of each <head> heading. These will be the titles and descriptions that you see in Google and with which you intend to attract the attention. If you use WordPress you can use for example All in One SEO Pack . You will have a new SEO edition forms in each article.
8. Url friendly and edited: Use a system of writing URLs that are like your titles. You can shorten and edit them to contain as many keywords as possible. In WordPress you can activate this feature in Settings, and you can edit each URL within the edition of each article.
9. Creating and sending sitemap to search engines: Sitemaps help search engines to index your site and have them updated in their cache. Google and Bing have their own pages to send you your files. You can use XML Sitemaps Generator
10. Automate the sending of sitemaps: As the sending of sitemaps we should do every time there is a change, it is best to automate it. With WordPress we can do it with the Google XML Sitemaps plugin
11. Transcribe your audiovisual content: The content of your videos or presentations is not indexed by Google so it is a good idea to make a transcription in text if you can and find the space.
12. Favicon: The favicon is the small logo that comes out on each tab and in favorites and identifies each web. You can create yours and upload it to your template: http://www.favicon.cc/
13. Avoid using cookies: Unnecessary requests and problems with data privacy.
14. Use rel = “author”: Configure the authorship of your publications and display the author’s image in the search engines. It will help bring attention to your articles and give them personality in Google.
Images in Search Engine Positioning
15. Title and description: Includes the ALT and TITLE tags in all Images. If not the search engines will not know what they are and you will not be able to index them. If you are very lazy you can use SEO Friendly Images in WordPress to fill them automatically.
16. Specify your size: Always define the size of the image, either in Html with its width and heigh tags, or in WordPress when you publish it. Otherwise the browser will change the page size when filling the image and it will not look all good until it loads completely. Google wants that from the first moment our page will see the sizes as they are going to be, they will not grow.
17. Do not scale images in Html: Decide the size of each image in the article and upload it of that size. If we dwarf it with html or the blog editor, it will be having to load large equally.
18. Image optimization for the web: Use a compressor or save for the Web in Photoshop. There is no need for the highest image quality for the web and the images occupy a large part of download data. We want the page to load as soon as possible. You can use the Smush it tool on the blog , which allows you to automatically improve the compression of your images.
19. Combine images using CSS sprites: If your template or design uses many small images together, it is recommended that you combine them in a single image and define the links using sprites in CSS.
Take care of the links for a good web positioning
20. Anchor text diversified: These are the words that you can click to visit your website. We must try to link them descriptively, using keywords and not always the same, but varying them, making them seem like natural recommendations. You can use: Backlink Anchor Text Analysis
21. Check broken links: Google hates us if we make you visit links that do not work. We must avoid it and check all our links habitually, every week. With this online tool it is very simple and will tell us which do not work: InternetMarketingNinjas
22. Avoid redirects: Both in our site and when linking other pages. The previous tool will also tell us which links have to be redirected to another address and suggests that we shorten the steps.
23. Automate the search for broken links: We can use a WordPress plugin to notify us when a link stops working: Broken Link Checker
24. Know the PageRank: It is the assessment that makes Google from 0 to 10 of each site about its position and authority. Know and measure the evolution of your PageRank and the sites that link or propose link exchange. You can use http://pgchecker.info
25. Do not link malicious or illegal content: Google penalizes pages that link contents with viruses or declared pirated.
26. Search where they link to your competition: Learn about your strategy while finding new ways to get links and improve positioning.
27. Use internal links: Search where to highlight other parts of your web and get used to naturally link your articles with each other.
We avoid duplicate content
28. Original texts: Verify that all your texts are original. If not, Google will be the first to know and will negatively rate your page. You can use Copyscape .
29. No-index to our duplicate content: We will add the non-index tag in our pages where our content repeats: category, file by date and tags. With All in One SEO Pack we can configure it in WordPress.
30. Home page with only a sample: We will not include the full text of articles in the homepage of our blog, only a sample part and a link Read More. Google will have duplicate the same texts and the article itself You will no longer have exclusive content.
31. Description and Title Meta without repeating : In the descriptions for the search engines we can not have any repeated because it would create another conflict for the search engines.
32. Canonical URL: Check that your web address is canonical
33. Same design for web and mobile It is preferable to use an adaptive or Responsive design that allows us to have the same design for all devices. If we have two different versions, the search engines will find duplicate content and will have to have two parallel copies of the site.
Your Website Positioning Style Guide
34. Create fun and original content: Make them make the reader more time on your page and see other pages of the site. Every time Google takes more into account the factors of usability and permanence in your web, so the biggest trick is to be great and worthy of mention. Study the times and rebound rate of each article to catch what your readers prefer.
35. Long content: If your page is 4 paragraphs the reader will not last much longer than 20 seconds. Try to make more ambitious content and you will keep the reader longer. That is, without passing, because you could fall into the opposite error and increase significantly the loading time of the page.
36. Take care of your visitors from devices: Visits from mobiles and tablets are an important part of the statistics and you have to take care of the usability and the presentation of your page for these resolutions. If you want to be more time in your page you must have an adaptable design or in its default a version of the mobile web. You can check your website for all resolutions and devices with this tool: Screenfly
37. Post periodically: Searchers value that your website is updated and alive. Try to publish at least weekly to be cataloged as an active source of information. If your website is static, try to create a blog section that you can publish more often and create Landing Pages to attract different types of search engines
38. Participate and connect with your community: It will be the best way to link and mention you. Help others and solve the questions in the comments. Interact and participate with that community interested in your content. If you need to review ideas in Social Media, I recommend the Community Manager Handbook in 8 free guides .
39. Protocol after each article: After publishing each article executes a protocol of actions that you are perfecting over time. This should take about 20 minutes and it is very important to do so after posting each article or page. We could publish on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, G +, Linkedin groups, forums in which you participate, comments on related articles, directories, favorites aggregators … All the initial work is good to get some first links in webs and shared in social networks . Your articles are always more visible in search engines the first 4 days, so the initial push helps increase visits on those better days.
40. Guest Blogging: Write an article on other guest blogs. You can get to know in other spaces and also get quality links to your website. In many blogs they accept it or you can propose it.
41. Offer some content of value: Prepare and offer some content you offer from a landing page that can link and you can monitor visits. Make it necessary to go to your page to access the content. It is a good idea to combine it with other tools such as Pay with a Tweet or mail subscription with Mailchimp .
42. Landing Page: Do a specific SEO job for the different Landing Page you can create to look for different ways to attract people to your website. It positions content for certain keywords and monitors the visits you receive to that page through search engines.
43. Take care of the reader: Remove for example that unnecessary publicity that is not giving you any money from your website. You’ll save load time and improve the usability of your page.
Avoid Google penalties
44. Do not put keywords out of context: Do not use a technique of putting keywords massively in text without any sense to increase the density or receive visits.
45. Do not put hidden text: Google strongly penalizes the technique of writing text that the reader does not see, under images, videos or other layers, in order to position certain terms.
46. Avoid code errors you can: Search engines prefer those pages with a code that meets the standards and will look correct for most situations. The best way we have to know how correct our code is, is to use the W3C Markup Validator tool
47. Do not go with the exchange of links: It is not bad to have some (between 5 and 20) exchange links with other pages, as long as they are of a theme very similar to ours and there is real participation between the two. I do not recommend creating large collections of links exchanged with other websites of various themes or different specialties. The best of all will be the ones you win because you deserve them.
Reduce the load time of your page and Google will love you a lot
48. It measures and improves the speed of your page: It is another of the most important factors for a good positioning and we can use several tools to measure it. With Google Page Speed will tell us many points where we can improve our speed. Another widely used tool is Yslow’s Chrome app , which will also give us many recommendations.
53. Save and clean your code: Your code is not what occupies most, but it opens many times. You can clean your html, css and php files from unnecessary annotations and compress them with the help of some tool.
54. Minimize your Css and Java-Script: You can use the Minify tool for any web page to combine and reduce your Css and Java-Script files. In WordPress you can access it through the W3 Total Cache plugin .
56. Use the pagination: If your content is very long and for the presentations of blog articles, we must page the contents so that they are not too long and heavy. The blog page should be limited to 5 or 6 articles, and always only a sample or a header, not complete.
57. Reduce the number of DNS queries: Try not to link or load images from many different domains. Try to make all http requests to your same domain. But it would take a long time to resolve the different requests and would greatly increase the load time
58. Few calls http: It is recommended that our pages make the least number of requests to the server. I recommend that you do not exceed 25. The GtMetrix tool will measure and analyze this data.
59. Compress in gzip: We must enable compression in gZip, which is like the Zip of the web code. Scanners download and process it faster so today it is essential to use it. In WordPress we can enable it with the previously mentioned W3 Total Cache plugin .
60. Using Page Cache: The cache is like a copy of the page that the reader saves so it does not have to be loaded the next time it asks for it. There are several types of cache systems. With W3 Total Cache or other plugins you can help, with images as well. The speed of the page will increase significantly in all cases.
61. Use cache for Java-Script: The java-script plugins have been left as the heaviest part of the web with images, so if we cache them we will also save many times their load.
63. Using a CDN: A content distribution network is a system by which visitors enter a parallel copy of your web hosted on another server. We benefit from protection, speed, cached copies and more features. You will need to be able to make some changes to the server in your DNS names. We can use for example the free version of CloudFlare
64. Do not use nested tables in html: It is quite common to fall into the error of using one table inside another, but can slow down our page a lot. Sometimes it is not easy to realize and we can discover it with W3C Markup Validator
65. External Css and no styles in the code. It is very common to apply styles directly on the page and not in an external Css file. If you use WordPress will also happen to you. Try to use the predefined styles you have to the right of the editor, and if you do not try to write in the HTML tab and apply the styles you have defined in your Css. You’ll save load time and efficiency to make changes.
67. Check load times for each page: Analyze load times and rebound, and test and measure different alternatives to improve usability. You can use GtMetrix again .
Essential tools to start with good SEO 2017
68. Woorank: A very complete tool to analyze our website at first. WooRank.com
69. Web Ceo: An online payment tool, but with a quite complete free version. It will help us monitor our links and keywords, while we can contrast the data with Google Analytics. Web CEO Online
70. Screaming Frog: A tool to install on your computer. It analyzes and traces as if it were a search engine our web and allows us to improve the faults. Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool & Crawler Software
71. All in One SEO Pack: The most complete plugin for your SEO WordPress. It will allow us to do many functions that we talked about in this article. All in One SEO Pack
72. SEO by Yoast: Another alternative to the previous one, with many possibilities and functions to improve our positioning in search engines. WordPress SEO by Yoast
73. W3 Total Cache: It is the most used Cache plugin in WordPress and a wonder. There are other alternatives, but this one is very very complete. It will help us improve the speed of our website. W3 Total Cache
74. SEO Chat Seo Tools: It’s the largest collection of free online SEO tools. Surely testing your web you get some useful information. SEO Seo Tools Chat – Search Engine Optimization Tools
And the last step for a good positioning in SEO search engines
75. Leave me a comment and link your blog: Participation with the community is the most important point of all. If we want to get recommendations we will have to connect with the people who make them. If your contribution is interesting you will get visits from other readers. I probably visit your blog and maybe I link or share in social networks. And in any case at least Google will have linked our blogs and noted our relationship and participation.
I have limited to 200 comments this article, but I would love to comment and participate in any other. If you have any questions about SEO and web positioning , I will be happy to solve it in the comments of the post: 50 Questions and Answers about SEO . If what you need is serious work in SEO and positioning, I can also help you get out first on Google and give you a study and budget without compromise. I also recommend my practical SEO Course with your own web , if you live in Madrid.
And now that? Now is your turn
Now you can participate and connect with the rest of readers in the most important part of the blog.